Minutes of the Club AGM held on Wednesday 17th May 2023:

Present: Phil Parry, Paul Levy, Debbie Levy, John Parker, Simon Gatward, Kev Hydes, Danielle Cousins
Apologies: Matt Todd, Ed Morton, Mike Jackson
Guests: Ian Cox, Jess Wills

Minutes of the previous meeting were approved and signed.

Chairmans Report

It has been a good year for the Club we go from strength to strength. The Yoga classes on Saturday, despite a couple of interruptions, have continued and recently the Club has been awarded a grant for the Yoga Classes. We had a successful winter Golf Day followed by an End of Year Dinner at the Plough. We have approximately 40 people, many of them Club members, on the Mile A Day programme. Danielle has led walks. We have had many Park Run outings – or Park Walk outings – at Houghton Hall. We have had two hugely successful events in the Village Hall particularly the Quiz Night for which we got many compliments. We have raised money for St Georges and Parkfields Schools for Sports Equipment. We have increased the membership of the Club. And Club members can have a 10% discount and free shipping with SportsShoes.

Club Members have had individual success – Ian Cox for completing the Bournemouth Marathon, Ed
Morton for completing his second London Marathon, Christina Lawrence for taking part in the XNRG Tring Ultra 50K and Mike Jackson for running the Ultra Trail Mont Blanc CCC in August – and I believe Danielle is completing a Marathon hike along the Norfolk Coast.

It is heartening to see the Committee and members working together as a team to make all this happen – the teamwork was really evident at the last quiz night. Thanks go to all – but particularly our Head of IT and Treasurer.

The club brand, logo and colours are becoming more recognisable as they are seen on our Facebook page, our banners, literature, kit and now on our bobble hats. We are exploring having CSC polo shirts.

Looking to the coming year:

  • We need to keep promoting the aims of the Club – inspiration and information. Inspiring people to exercise and keep fit and giving information on how to exercise efficiently and effectively.
  • We need to see if we can add more activities.
  • We may need to change the time and day of the yoga sessions and we are in discussion with the village hall about this matter.
  • We will be asking the members to renew their membership this Autumn.
  • In line with our aim of encouraging young people into sport we will continue to support local organisations and schools.
  • We will be organising another event in Village Hall, possibly a Race or Quiz Night.
  • Finally, Simon has done a great job on our website; it now needs input from us all to complete.

Officer appointments

Chair – PP stood down & KH took chair & proposed PP, seconded by JP, unanimous vote. PP took Chair.
Vice Chair – PL proposed KH, seconded PP, unanimous vote.
Treasurer – PP proposed PL, seconded JP, unanimous vote.
Head of IT – DL proposed SG, seconded PP, unanimous vote.
Secretary – SG proposed DL, seconded PP, unanimous vote.

Treasurers Report

Following successful Quiz Night donations are to be made to St Georges Lower School for sports equipment and to Toddington Rovers Football Club to help provide kit for a Colts team. Proposed by PL & seconded by PP.

Dunstablians RUFC is also struggling at junior level so recommend to be considered for a donation after next CSC fundraising event. We could also investigate using their hall for events. DL to enquire.

Memberships are due for renewal in September, unanimous vote to keep it at £10.

Future Activities

  • Village Games 17 June – Unable to support as no members available.
  • Short Mat Bowls – Can promote if organisers provide details.
  • Yoga – PL is arranging a meeting with Village Hall to discuss availability. Rachel will do a Risk assessment. Monday evenings from September at 7.30. Grant to be drawn down. Proposed Pl seconded DL
  • Golf – Won’t be able to arrange this summer.
  • Walks – DC to look at early evening walks.
  • Park Runs – 10 June, 8 July 5 August 9 September are next dates.
  • Trail Running for Beginners – MJ not at meeting.
  • Open Water Swimming – Member JW will do a write up promoting this activity and CSC will advertise any she offers to lead. Also suggested she talk to BJ.
  • Website – Round of applause for SG. Launch date hopefully 1 June 2023
  • Merchandise – Prices for more shirts awaited from KH.